Like us on Facebook!
Welcome to the Town of Germantown website!
The Village of Germantown was situated at the junction of the Wisconsin and Yellow Rivers. Its first settlers were Walter Gaige and Jacob Gundlach, who came in 1851. The Village was named after the large number of German settlers that came to the area and it was incorporated as a 30 block town on the Wisconsin River in 1855. When its population peaked in the 1880’s, Germantown had four sawmills, a church, Post Office, school, dance hall, blacksmith shop, hotel, saloon, and the first brewery in Juneau County. The Germantown Ferry ran across the Wisconsin River to Quincy, Adams County and back.
The Germantown Cemetery, which still exists today near Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church, was the main cemetery in the area. Bodies from the Werner Cemetery were moved to the Germantown Cemetery when the lake was flooded.
The plans for the two lakes and dams began in the late 1920’s by the Wisconsin River Power Company. The buildings in Germantown were disassembled and used for houses in Mauston and the area became the Castle Rock County Park. The site of Werner was submerged beneath the waters of the lake. The same lake waters that submerged its early beginnings have, in recent years, led to the remarkable growth that the town is experiencing. The Castle Rock and Petenwell Lakes and Dams, completed in 1950, opened up a new era for both Juneau and Adams Counties